When my sister who has been suffering from diabetes for last 15 years gradually transitioned to a plant-based, whole-food lifestyle it brought a huge change in her life. Following a Plant Based Recipes for Diabetes not only dramatically improved her blood sugar it gave her a tonne of energy and reduced her insulin intake as much as by 40 percent.
Here are 3 diabetic-friendly plant based breakfasts- lunch and dinner recipes she cooks for herself and her husband often.
Let’s first start with…
Table of Contents
PLANT BASED RECIPES FOR DIABETES (BREAKFAST)
It is proven that Quinoa which is gluten-free and very rich in protein has a low glycemic index (53) is good for diabetic patients. Today we will prepare a quinoa pancake recipe which does not take much time and can be served as breakfast to diabetic patients.
INGREDIENTS FOR PANCAKE BATTER:
- 1 cup quinoa (wash thoroughly and soak for 5 to 6 hours and drain water)
- 1/2 cup water
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 to 3 green chilies
- ½ cup chopped cilantro or coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoon oil
- Iron or any skillet to make Pancake
METHOD FOR PREPARING QUINOA PANCAKE:
- Soak the quinoa for about 4 to 5 hours. Then, wash it well and drain the water.
- Add quinoa and half cup of water to the mixer grinder.
- Add green chilies and grind all to make a thin paste
- Transfer the batter to a bowl
- Next, add cilantro and chopped onions to the batter.
- Also, add salt and cumin seeds.
- Mix everything well in the batter to have a pancake batter consistency.
- The batter is now ready to use right away or can be and become the refrigerator to use later.
Let’s now prepare the Quinoa pancake.
- Heat the iron skillet on medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, reduce the heat to medium.
- Pour the batter onto the middle of the skillet and spread it around into a nice, round and flat pancake shape.
- Add 1 tsp of oil around it, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- After the bottom side appears golden, flip the pancake to cook on the other side too. Both sides should be golden brown in color.
Your Quinoa pancake is now ready to serve. Remember it tastes best when served hot.
Next let’s check out a yummy……
PLANT BASED RECIPES FOR DIABETES (LUNCH)
For lunch, we will prepare Split chickpea and cucumber salad
- ½ cup split chickpea (Soaked for 2 hrs and drained)
- 1 cup cucumber
- 2-3 tablespoons shredded coconut (more if you like )
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
1. Heat oil in a ladle or a small pan, and wait till it gets heated to the right temperature. To check whether the temperature is right, add 3-4 mustard seed to the oil in the laddle. If it starts cracking/popping the temperature is right.
- Add mustard seeds and asafetida
- Next, add cilantro and chilis.
- Let everything sit in the oil till the crackling stops and then add this seasoning to the soaked split chickpea.
- Next, add cucumber and coconut to the mix
- Add salt.
- Mix everything evenly, and enjoy!
The split chickpea and cucumber salad is a great diabetic lunch recipe or you can have it as a side as well.
Finally, let’s take a look at …
PLANT BASED RECIPES FOR DIABETES (DINNER)
Quinoa Asparagus Flavored dish
Asparagus has been proven to control blood sugar by increasing insulin secretion and is a detoxifier, an anti-aging function and also prevents osteoporosis and osteoarthritis For our first plant based diabetic recipe today we present a Quinoa Asparagus Flavored Dish (Indian style)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cup chopped asparagus (when u are chopping the asparagus make sure that you cut only the tender part of asparagus)
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 5-6 dried red chillis
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp black gram (urad dal)
- 1 tbsp Split chickpea (chana dal)
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 3-4 tbsp Vangibath powder (watch the 1:11 min video to make it super quick)
- 1 ½ tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tbsp asafoetida
- 2 cups of water
- First, wash the quinoa thoroughly to remove saponins and double the amount of water. Pressure cook it on a medium flame for around 15 minutes. Once cooked let it cool.
Next let’s prepare the asparagus. First place a pan on the stove at the medium-high flame to heat it well
- Once the pan is heated add oil.
- Add mustard seeds to the pan and wait till it crackles.
- Once it starts cracking add split chickpea and black gram
- Mix all till it turns into a golden brown color
- Once it turns golden brown add red chilis and curry leaves
- Next, add the chopped onions and asparagus
- Add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Mix them well and cook.
- Then cover it and let it cook for 3-4 mins
- After 3-4 mins reduce the heat to medium-low for 5 more mins.
- After 5 minutes remove the cover. The asparagus should have cooked well by this time and become tender.
- Now add salt and Vangibath powder.
- Mix everything well together
- To this mixture, add the cooked quinoa
- Mix everything together. After mixing well close the lid for 1-2 more mins.
- After a few mins, remove the cover and check whether everything has mixed well then switch off the stove.
The Quinoa Asparagus Flavored dish is ready to serve for dinner. Or you can replace it with the lunch menu also.