Today we are going to make an easy creamy mushroom sauce. This sauce is suitable for meat, steak, chicken or pasta.
150 gm fresh mushrooms
¾ cup unsalted chicken broth
½ cup fresh cream
1 tbsp chopped onion
A clove of minced garlic
2 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp unsalted butter
When I was a young girl and got permission from my mother to prepare family dinner I wanted to prepare pasta drenched with the creamy mushroom sauce. But I didn’t know how to prepare the mushroom sauce.
I had no clue and added too much cream which had to be thickened by adding cornflour. It was my first recipe.
Over the years I have perfected this mushroom sauce recipe and honestly, I prepare it almost every other week.
As I keep it prepared beforehand, It helps to make a fast pasta weeknight dinner or serve it with a juicy steak,
So without further delay, let’s begin.
- First, chop the mushrooms into small pieces after cleaning them well.
- Put butter in a pan at medium heat and allow it to melt. You can also add a little olive oil to the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add onion and garlic
- Fry the onion and garlic lightly.
- Next, add the chopped mushrooms. Stir the mushrooms well to let them coat with butter.
- Keep frying until they turn golden brown. Add the soya sauce and again stir them well.
- Then add the unsalted chicken broth and mix them well. For this quantity of sauce cook for around 2 minutes until it starts simmering. Continue cooking at medium heat till it becomes a little thick.
- Add fresh cream to the pan. Ensure you keep stirring while adding the cream so that no lump is formed.
- After stirring it well leave the sauce at medium heat for a little less than 1 minute.
- Finally, add some black pepper to the mix and your creamy mushroom sauce is ready.
- Pour it in a small bowl like this one. And that’s it.
Check the consistency of the sauce in the picture above. This recipe is so easy and simple and it will quickly become a favorite in your household.
I hope you like this recipe and try it as you can see its super easy and takes just a few minutes.
Why did my mushroom sauce turn lumpy?
Did you stir it well while adding the fresh cream? If you find it difficult to continuously stir while adding the fresh cream directly you can whisk the cream and a little stock with a wire whisk until smooth and then add it to the pan and mix it well
Why did my sauce turn pale in color?
The most likely reason could be that you have not allowed the mushroom to brown well. Also, it is better to not overcrowd the pan with mushrooms while frying. You can fry them in batches.
I don’t want to use cream as it is high in calorie. Can I substitute it with milk?
Yes, you can make it with milk instead of cream but the sauce will not be as thick. If you want to thicken the sauce you can mix cornflour with milk and add it to the sauce instead of fresh cream and allow it to cook till it reaches the thickness you want.
How long will the mushroom sauce last if refrigerated?
You can keep it refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days.